7.07.2004

July 4, Krakow.

I'm going to miss my flight home.

I'd like to think that I'm the kind to stay calm in the face of impending doom when I can't do anything to change it. I'd like to think that I'd tactfully accept my fate, and change what things I could when I could. Apparently, I'm not quite that stoic. If I spoke enough Polish to throw a proper hissy fit, I think I would have, and demanded that they produce an 8:35 train like their schedule says. Unfortunately, if I spoke Polish, I probably wouldn't be in this situation, because I'm sure it clearly says on said train schedule that the 8:35 train doesn't run on Sundays. And so, here we are.

In a nutshell: My flight leaves from Warsaw at 12:45, from the airport. My train gets into Warsaw at 12:20, at the train station, which is at least 20 minutes away from the airport (but probably more, even on Sunday). Of course, if I'd just had the sense to ask the girl at the reception desk of the hostel to double-check the train schedule yesterday, I would have made sure to catch the 7:35 train, which I ended up missing by about 4 minutes.

Thanks to having my flight booked through work, I had an emergency travel agent I could call. She gave me the number for the Air France office in Poland, and I called them intending to ask to be put on stand-by for the next flight (and the next flight to NYC too, since my connection time is only 45 minutes). Of course, no one answers the Air France office phone. So I have no idea what my chances are for getting on a flight home today, or, more importantly, how much that flight is going to cost me. And, of course, since (1) this is completely my fault, and (2) the ccause of my missing my flight has nothing to do with work, I'm totally on my own in terms of paying my way home, even though OSI paid for my initial ticket. Just what I need.

I didn't sleep much, so I'm tired and I want to go to bed. I didn't have a towel, so I'm dirty and want to take a shower. I miss my friends and I'm homesick, so I just want to go home. I can't even call anyone in the US because of the time difference - it's 3AM over there.

Boo hoo hoo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home