5.09.2005

ready for lunch

saturday night, i went to a poker game with friends from work (and friends-of-friends). i found out there that my friend/coworker, mark, also has a blog, and that apparently there's an osi blog ring of sorts. i haven't decided yet whether to (a) ask for mark's address, and (b) come out of the blogging closet. i tend to be quite critical of work on here, and i blog from work--two facts that would be better kept from my immediate supervisors. i'm relatively safe as long as people from work don't have this address. i don't want to put myself in a place where i feel compelled to further self-censor. i do that enough as it is. that's just the name of the game, i guess.

another thing to consider is the quality of the writing on here. most people at work are both older and smarter than me, and definitely more aware of the world in general. the writing on this blog can be (in my opinion) really good or really bad depending on my mood. if this space is handed to coworkers who don't know me that well for their critique, i might be putting myself in a position to be pre-judged. i'm not sure how likely it is, or how critical or forgiving people are. i figure it's better to be on the safe side.

although this blog is technically public, i'm pretty sure no one odd reads it. i tried googling search terms one might use to find information about me, and this site certainly doesn't come up on the first page (or second, or third). "sai blog" gives over a million search hits. then again, determined people can find anything if they really want to. i guess i'll just have to be cool enough to keep people from being determined to dig up dirt on me.

tao is coming over tonight to "interview" for a room in my apartment. my interview was more like an extended getting-to-know-you chat with a few pointed questions thrown in. really quite pleasant as interviews go. i hope that tao and may like each other. i think it'd be nice to have him around. i'd forgotten how nice it was to have friends right nearby, and i guess i'm getting kind of greedy.

i am no longer applying to the peace corps. might be giving up, might be chickening out, might be the best decision ever. who can tell? i'm just going to run with it.

the economist is a great magazine. i can almost feel myself getting smarter.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

know a bunch of people who had horrible peace corps experiences

4:00 PM  
Blogger saisai said...

i've actually heard a lot of positive things... although i'm sure there were bad ones as well. it was more that i felt like it wouldn't be professionally advantageous for me, given that i'm more interested in policy work than in community development.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the economist is the best-written magazine that is out there, and that includes the new yorker, i think.

i am impressed you blog about work - that is one thing i will never talk about on my site (that is, when i find time to actually write on my site). don't want to open the can of worms.

-jean

9:20 PM  
Blogger Stoops said...

i'm sure that you made the right decision, sai.

i'll be sure to let you know what happens after my interview on monday.

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home